Andrew T. Shumate 2915 Kecoughtan Rd Hampton, VA 23661 (757) 744-9076 ashumate(at)gmail.com
An inspired innovator and motivational leader who looks for new opportunities learn new skills at every opportunity and is sought out by peers and leaders for his knowledge of network security. Works effectively with customers and stakeholders to deliver actionable results from vulnerability analysis and penetration tests using a variety of both open source and proprietary tools such as Core Impact and his knowledge of security testing methodologies such as the Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual and the Joint Common Information Assurance Assessment Methodology. Adept at planning operations as well as troubleshooting issues and solving problems early and can find solutions and alternatives when normal courses of action are unavailable.
Summary of Qualifications
- – Extensive technology and leadership experience spanning a 20-year Naval career
- – Over 14 years leadership experience at various levels
- – Strong technical background: CEH, SEC+, Linux+
- – Management expertise: led assessment teams from planning through execution
- – Operations management – highly successful accomplishing complex missions
- – M.S. Information Technology and Cybersecurity Policy
- – Top Secret/SCI security clearance (with polygraph)
- – Information Technology Integrated Process Team lead.
- – Successfully consolidated the Information Technology and Information Assurance operations of seven dispersed sites into a single operational command.
- – While attached to Navy Blue Team, led teams of analysts on over 60 network vulnerability assessments of Navy afloat and ashore networks.
- – While attached to Navy Red Team, led a team of three analysts responsible for the operational test and evaluation of newly acquired systems though combined vulnerability assessments and penetration tests supporting Chief of Naval Operations fielding recommendations.
- – Aviation Maintenance Supervisor, responsible for directing the activities of 16 technicians and ensuring compliance with maintenance and quality assurance directives.
- – ECCouncil Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- – COMPTIA Security+
- – COMPTIA Linux+
- – Core Impact Certified Professional
- – Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve with no documentation or precedent.
- – Subject matter expert for military exercises and wargames providing Information Operations input to the synthetic battlefield environment.
- – Knowledge of security related legislation/regulations such as PCI DSS, GLBA, and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- – Continuously sought out by peers and superiors for knowledge of networks and security.
- – Managed the technical refresh of 358 computer workstations across 12 buildings within a four day period with no loss of productivity
- – Tracked the Information Assurance and Personally Identifiable Information awareness training compliance for 2,543 service members across seven geographically dispersed sites.
- – Revitalized Navy Blue Team’s Computer Network Defense Computer Network Training Team course by updating job qualification requirements and creating a new qualification process for new operators.
- – Reallocated Navy Blue Team training resources saving the Navy over $250,000 in annual travel costs.
- – Participated in continuous process improvement events increasing the efficiency of maintenance operations at Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic
Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills
- – Instructed Linux+ curriculum for eight people with 100% exam pass rate.
- – Direct report to executive leadership regarding Information Assurance compliance.
- – Routinely lectured at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group Atlantic on the topic of Computer Network Operations fundamentals.
- – Developed Command Information Technology policy manual that was used as the framework for developing command IT instructions across Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic.
- – Developed an all encompassing CTF 1030 standard operating procedure performing Blue Team Vulnerability Assessments.
- – M.S. Cybersecurity Policy University of Maryland University College (2012)
- – M.S. Information Technology (Information Assurance) University of Maryland University College (2011)
- – Masters Certificate: Information Systems and Operations Naval Postgraduate School (2006)
- – B.S. Computer Networking Strayer University (2005)
- 2009 – 2014 Computer Network Defense Analyst (Navy Information Operations Command, VA)
- 2006 – 2009 Information Assurance Manager (Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic, VA)
- 2000 – 2006 Aviation Maintenance Supervisor (Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic, VA)
- 1998 – 2000 Tool control and supply supervisor (USS Nimitz, VA)
- 1995 – 1998 Aviation Electronics Technician (USS Independence, Yokosuka Japan)